History of the 47th Kentucky Mounted Infantry


    The 47th Mounted Infantry was organized under an act of congress which authorized the governor to organize 20,000 troops for the defense of the state.
Southeastern Kentucky was mostly pro Union, however there were small areas of pro Confederates and several guerilla units that caused a lot of conflict and problems for familys who were un-protected and living in an area where there was a lot of traffic in and out of Virginia.
    Most of the men were mustered into service at Irvine, KY, on Oct 5, 1863. The rest at Camp Nelson in Dec, 1863, & Jan, 1864. The officers instrumental in recruiting this regiment were Andrew W Clark, Alfred C Wilson & Thomas H Barnes. On Nov 6, 1863, before it was fully mustered into service, the 47th was included in the military organization of North Central KY, under the command of Gen S S Fry, whose headquarters were at Camp Nelson. On Nov 25, 1863, Gen Boyle sent the 47th to Big Hill along with several other units.
    The 47th was later included in the organization of the Army of the Ohio. On Dec 31, 1863, it was under Col Andrew H Clark, in Gen S S Fry's command. It remained so during that winter, doing duty in scouting by detachments through Eastern KY. In the organization of the Department of the Ohio, on April 30, 1864, the 47th was under Major Barnes in a brigade with other KY regiments that was commanded by Col John Mason Brown. The regiments were all in the division commanded by Gen Hobson.

    In June, 1864, the 47th was under Gen Hobson at Paintsville when Gen John Morgan came into KY with the object of destroying the KY Central Railroad, and then the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. Morgan came through Pound Gap, which is in the extreme eastern part of the state. He had passed Gen Hobson's forces and made his way toward Mt. Sterling before his purpose was known. Once Morgan's target was known, Gen Hobson hurried to Lexington in person by way of Cincinnati, hoping to reach Lexington in time to organize a force there before Morgan could reach that part of the state. However, Gen Hobson and 300 of his troops were captured at a place called Kellar's Bridge near Cynthiana.
    In the meantime, the troops Gen Hobson had left in eastern KY were hastening quickly toward Lexington under Gen Burbridge & Cols John Mason Brown, Charles S Hanson & others. They encountered Gen Morgan shortly after Gen Hobson's capture & severe fighting took place on June 12, 1864. Morgan was defeated and all the goods he had captured were retaken. Morgan was then pursued out of KY, through the mountains and across the Cumberland River. The 47th under Col Clark bore an active part in this endeavor.
    After Morgan had been pursued out of KY, the 47th was stationed at Camp Nelson under Gen S S Fry where it continued to protect the state. In the summer of 1864, the father of Col Clark, who was provost marshal of Owsley, was murdered by a band of the enemy. Col Clark petitioned petitioned to be allowed to use his regiment to bring the murderers to punishment. In Sept, 1864, it was on the line of the KY Central Railroad.
    On Dec 26, 1864, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, & H were mustered out of service at Lexington. Companies I & K were mustered out on April 12, 1865. Veterans were transferred to Battery E, and to the 4th KY Veterans Infantry